Sunday, March 25, 2012

Gluten Free Pancakes


Have you taken the time to see nutritionist Michelle Ross' blog?  I have and I'm loving it.  After reading her posts I am feeling impelled to move my family towards a gluten free diet.  I honestly think that gluten probably affects everyone in a negative way to some degree.  I know when I was on whole wheat bread, It was becoming increasingly difficult for me to maintain my ideal body weight.  The bread I ate was Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted grain bread which is very hearty and wholesome, but not gluten free.  Since going raw and eating low on the glycemic index, maintaining my weight is a breeze.  I provide a lot of raw food for my family but I also cook for them.  I want to give them the best quality cooked food I can provide them.   I have picked up organic gluten free bread and organic brown rice pasta for my family from Trader Joe's.  I also picked up ingredients for vegan gluten free pancakes for breakfast this morning.  My kids were not disappointed and loved their fluffy pancakes.  Here is a recipe that I found from The Daily Dietribe:

(I wanted to use bananas and berries for the pancake photo but the kids got to them before I did.)

Vegan and Gluten Free Pancakes and Waffles
(I doubled this recipe.)

1 1/4 cups flour (I used Bob's Red Mill gluten free all purpose baking flour)
1/2 cup starch (I used cornstarch, you could also use tapioca or potato starch)
2 tsp baking powder (make sure it is aluminum free)
1/2 tsp sea salt (Celtic sea or pink Himalayan salt is good too)
2 tbsp granulated sugar (I used coconut palm sugar)

1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (I made my own with 2 peeled and cored apples and a little water - blended in the Vitamix)
2 tbsp of oil (I ran out of coconut oil so I used organic Earth Balance vegan spread)
1/2 to 1 3/4 cups liquid ( I used coconut milk.)

Mix dry ingredients separately and then mix wet ingredients.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mix.  The measurement given for liquid did not work for me.  I kept adding milk in slowly until I reached the desired consistency of pancake batter.  This recipe is excellent!  Here is the post and guidelines for this recipe.


Enjoy the Journey!