Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Raw Food Diet and the Fountain of Youth


I recognize that not everyone wants to be a raw foodie. That's fine, you don't have to be. If I weren't a raw foodist, I would strive to have at least 60% raw food in my diet, preferably alkaline-producing raw foods. Alkilinity is achieved when you consume lots of leafy greens, sprouts, and vegetables as opposed to lots of fruit which is neutral – cooked food and animal products lead to acidity in the body. (More on pH balance in a future post.) For the next 35% of my diet I would choose cooked vegan food. The last 5% would be comprised of anything I want. This would be my opportunity to cheat. However, if you try this don't be surprised if over time you lose a taste for the foods you have always loved. That is a good thing! It generally takes about 10 days for your taste buds to begin to adjust. That is not a hard and fast rule, just an observation made by my husband when he was working at NEWSTART® lifestyle program at the Weimar Center of Health and Education.

That said, I would like to show you the amazing rejuvenative results of a raw food diet. It is absolutely phenomenal for staying young and the closest thing we have to the fountain of youth. I personally am very happy with my experience with it! Losing wrinkles on a raw food diet? Yes, I really have!

Some in Hollywood have jumped onto the raw food band wagon. They recognize that having a healthful diet is crucial for looking good, even into the later years. Some actors, models or otherwise famous people have turned to raw food to stay young and, of course, to be healthy. Angela Bassett, Demi Moore, Carol Alt, and Woody Harrelson are a few examples. Demi Moore (right) is 48 years old. Okay, I'm ready for the plastic surgery accusation. There is no way I can prove that she hasn't been under the scalpel. All I can say is that I don't think a face lift makes you look younger, it just makes you look stretched.  Demi, on the other hand, looks fresh, young, and natural. 

You don't buy it? How about Tonya Zavasta (left). She is a raw food evangelist and expert on aging beautifully. Her website has a fantastic array of beauty products and regimens. She has a blog and lots of raw food recipes. Care to guess her age? 53 years old! Not a single wrinkle on her face.

Suppose I were to really push the limits. I want to look good in my 60's perhaps, maybe even into my 70's. Do you think it's possible? Beautiful Annette Larkins (below) is in her sixties. She also has raw food recipes available through her website.

Last, but not least, is a phenomenal lady. Her name is Mimi Kirk. Take a look at this YouTube clip and see for yourself. Get this - as of 2009 she was dating someone 15 years younger than herself. Way to go Mimi!  Check out her website.  She has tons of recipes to share plus a recipe book.
Again, for the You Tube clip, it may be necessary to right click on the link and open in a new tab or window.



I know I promised those transition programs, I just get ahead of myself with this info. I promise, it's coming!


Enjoy the Journey!