Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Where I Shop for Organic Produce

I have to apologize for not posting more frequently.  I'm finding it more difficult to do so as we approach the holiday season.  I'm so busy!

Anyhow, on to the subject at hand:

When my husband and I were making the decision to move back to the East Coast from California, one of the stipulations I had was that I needed to have my favorite stores within a short distance.  Two stores, that's all I was requiring: Trader Joe's and Costco.  Once I knew that they were located close to my new home, I was satisfied. I love Whole Foods, but if I were to shop there exclusively, it would break my bank.  Trader Joe's offers a great selection of reasonably priced organic foods.  Costco also carries some organic items.  Whatever I cannot find at these two stores, I will pick up at Roots, my local health food store.

I decided to "bring you along" to these stores on one of my shopping trips to give you a breakdown of what certain foods cost.  Bear in mind that these prices and items are representative of  Montgomery County, MD, which is a high cost of living area.  (Obviously, prices may vary significantly depending where you live.)

Costco: 

I buy organic carrots at Costco.  I'm going on memory here.  I pick up a 10 lb. bag for approximately $7.00.  That's cheap!  Sorry, no photos.  Nothing fancy, just a warehouse.




Some friendly staff whom I see on a weekly basis. 

Trader Joes:

organic walnuts, approx. 1lb.:  $5.69
organic russet potatoes, 5 lb. bag: $3.99
organic D'Anjou pears, 2 lb. bag: $2.49
organic navel oranges, 4 lb. bag: $3.79
organic Roma tomatoes, 12. oz. pack: $3.29
organic basil, 2.5 oz. pack: $2.99
organic limes, 1 lb. bag: $1.99
organic bananas, each: $0.29
organic tricolor bell peppers, 3 ct. pack: $4.29
organic kiwis, 6 ct bag: $1.99
organic gala apples, 2 lb bag: $2.49 
organic broccoli crowns, 3 ct. pack: $3.99 
organic grapefruit, 4 lb. bag: $4.49 
organic avocados, 4 ct. bag: $3.79

 I love health food stores, they speak my language!

Roots:

organic spinach, 11 oz. box: $5.99
organic green chard, 1 bunch: $2.69


I find these prices to be very reasonable.  If you don't have a Trader Joe's store near you, take the time to shop around for a grocery store that carries reasonably priced organic foods.  Another option is to search for organic farms in your area.  Local Harvest is a great site for locating farms all over the United States.  Fresh, local, organic produce will always be best.  Less transit/delivery time means more nutrition! The Green Smoothie Girl, Robyn Openshaw, has some tips on how to decide whether or not to buy organic when on a tight budget.  Check out her YouTube video here.

In the next few posts I will list sites that carry non-perishable organic foods, introduce you to the "Dirty Dozen" of pesticide-laden produce, and feature a local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm.

The holidays are upon us!    I wish you and your loved ones a wonderful Thanksgiving!



Enjoy the Journey!