Monday, July 8, 2013

Mango Green Smoothie and Greens/Fruit Salad With Maple Cider Vinaigrette


When I come home from grocery shopping, there is a sight I see weekly that I want to share with you.  My fruit basket overflows.  I am very grateful for this considering so many in this world go without.  What is amazing to me is that in this country, many go without by choice!  Several times I've seen people at the grocery store struggling with failing health.   A quick peak into their carts reveals why they struggle.  Their carts are filled to the brim with dead, processed, chemically laden foods.  Don't they see the correlation?  I wish I could overhaul their diets, get their bodies moving outside in the sun and fresh air.  It's as simple as returning to the foods that grow from the earth. I love the color, textures, aromas and flavors of fresh food, REAL FOOD!  Food that can be found shopping the perimeter of the supermarket.  Food that doesn't come out of box.  (Forgive the spackling on the wall in photo, my kitchen is a work in progress)

Here are the veggies
I was not raised a vegan or vegetarian for that matter.  But my mother always cooked from scratch.  She gave us plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.  She also paid extra for better quality meat and dairy.  Today my parents are vegetarian and go without dairy products.  My mom and dad eat lots of excellent fresh food.  My parents' peers always discuss what medications they are on, what ailments they suffer from and so on.  My parents just cannot fit into the conversation very well because they are in excellent health. 

You may wonder what I do with so much produce.  I juice a lot, make green smoothies and salads.  I like for my kids to snack on fruit so I keep plenty of it around for them.  Here are a couple of my recipes I think you might enjoy.  I made this mango green smoothie this morning.  It is so delicious!  Hope you like it.

Mango Green Smoothie

2 cups water
2 generous fistsful of spinach
2 red chard leaves
2 leaves of dandelion greens
2 apples
2 oranges pealed and quartered
1 lemon pealed and quartered
1 bag of frozen mango equivalent to 3 cups cubed (or more if desired)
2 to 3 tbsp hemp seeds
Blend in high powered blender

Adjust ingredients to suit your liking.  Add dates, stevia or coconut palm sugar if not sweet enough.



Greens and Fruit Salad With Maple Cider Vinaigrette

2 cups spinach torn
1 head of romaine lettuce cut
1 orange cut in wedges
2 kiwi peeled and cubed
5 strawberries hulled and chopped
1/4 cup walnuts chopped
shredded coconut

Other options:  I like sliced red onions, raisins or dried cranberries in this salad.  

 Maple Cider Vinaigrette recipe courtesy of my friend Carol Ryan

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste


Three more natural remedies posts coming up soon!