Monday, September 16, 2013

Healing Spiritually


In God We Trust is written on our dollar bill, but in this age of political correctness the mention of anything spiritual can lead to ruffled feathers, offending folks with sparks and words flying left and right.  If I followed Buddha, I don't think many would have a problem with that.  If I discussed an experience of sheer ecstasy over achieving nirvana, I think many would just accept it without complaint.  My desire to share my spiritual experience is not to offend anyone.  That's the last thing I want to do.  I believe in the interconnectedness of body, mind and spirit and it is in that vein that I share this post.  To me, the message of health and healing just wouldn't be complete if I didn't touch upon this topic at least once.  If this topic doesn't interest you, feel free to skip this post.

Every morning when I wake up I have a very special routine.  I begin my day by spending a half hour in prayer and the study of the Bible. (I have a neat Bible app that makes this convenient and doable.)  Take this time away from me and you might as well take away the air that I breathe.  I depend on it and enjoy it like you just cannot imagine.  Scripture reading challenges my brain like no other book I have ever read, yet it has the most simple principles that are so easy to grasp.  Scripture provides a soothing balm for my soul when I ache.  I have been to hell and back a few times and in moments when I felt like I was drowning in the problems of life and struggling for the next breath, I learned to lean on prayer and scripture reading.   By doing this simple routine I found peace, hope and strength to just keep going.  During sunnier times of my life it has provided me with a wellspring of vitality and joy for living.  I do not place myself on a pedestal and by no means consider myself perfect.  I have character flaws to boot- just ask my family.  I learn from Scripture to never judge others but on the contrary to always show kindness and love.  My daily half hour has given me the strong desire to walk the high road and do the right thing even if it hurts.  Why do I share this?  My heart bleeds when I see people furiously spinning their wheels looking for happiness.  Maybe they'll find it in the next pay grade, relationship or toy, but somehow they always seem to come up empty.  I have found out that peace, hope, strength, and dare I say joy? - Yes!  To overflowing! - is available irrespective of the less than desirable circumstances of life. If you want to read more about this radical and seemingly upside-down way to a full and satisfying life, you must read The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren.  I believe in spiritual healing.  I have found that it is the only thing that truly and genuinely satisfies me.

"He who seeks his life will lose it; and he who loses his life for My sake will find it." Matthew 10:39



Have a great day!